Tuesday, May 31, 2011

retire in paris

France is is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world.

According to an MSN report, the best places to retire which ranks 29 countries:  France ranked 6th, scoring a perfect 100% in healthcare and 98% in culture. The US ranked 22nd (scoring high in safety and infra structure).

For many Americans thinking of retiring abroad, France is the one of the first countries that comes to mind. It is a Baby Boomer's haven. Paris is the most popular city for retirement in France. It is a very romantic city, offering a great quality of life, while also affording Boomers all the comforts that they have become accustomed to.

A recent study by the World Health Organization revealed that the overall health-care system in France is the best in the world, so there is no need to worry about medical services in the country.  It is recommended however, that you take out private medical insurance.  Generally, France's public health system covers about 70% of medical expenses, so you will want obtain supplemental coverage that will provide benefits for the remaining 30% that is not covered.

Keep in mind that housing costs are considerably high in Paris, so you will need to take that into consideration when deciding to move there. Another possibility might be to move to a city in the French countryside where housing is considerably less.
To live in France you’ll need to apply for a long-term visa at the nearest French consulate in the US, and then obtain a carte de séjour.
A US passport will allow you to stay in France for 90 days (about 3 months).  If you stay over 90 days and you are NOT a European citizen you will need a  resident's permit (carte de séjour). 

Stay tuned for instructions on how to apply for a carte de séjour

Receive via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner



past posts

Blog Button

rather be in paris